?

Log in

No account? Create an account

August 29th, 2008


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
10:43 am
aw crap. McCain was smart and picked a woman. Now he'll really steal all those stupid Hillary borg and "Democrats for McCain."
Why are the Republican's so much more savvy at manipulation?
If the Dems lose this election it'll be the biggest effing stuff-up in history.
mood: annoyedannoyed

(39 bits of drivel | babble incoherently)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:starflow
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Who? Do you have a link? I did a quick google for mccain vp and nothing came up.
[User Picture]
From:wanderyng1
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's Sarah Palin...check CNN
[User Picture]
From:starflow
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
thank you.
[User Picture]
From:inahandbasket
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
cnn.com, sarah palin
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
yeah i can't believe how sneaky and smart that is.
ugh.
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
also i can't believe what morons some people are by not voting according to issues!
[User Picture]
From:inahandbasket
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
National Politics has been more of a popularity contest ever since TVs became a standard household item. You'll always have half of the voters who actually know about the issues, and then the other half who are "Doin' mah civic duty!" and just vote for whoever seems like more of a good guy.
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 29th, 2008 03:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It seems like people that would vote for HIllary, though, would also be into a little something called women's rights. Like the right to a safe and legal abortion. Republicans not so much. And that's such a big issue...

I don't know. It just explodes my brain.
[User Picture]
From:blimey85
Date:August 30th, 2008 08:53 am (UTC)
(Link)
And what of the rights of the baby? Oh wait... my bad... gotta call it a fetus so we don't feel bad when we kill it.
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 30th, 2008 12:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
If people are anti-choice, than by all means vote for McCain. But I am afraid some women are pro-choice, yet are also so Feminist and so pissed that Hillary didn't get the nomination they will vote for McCain/Palin even though they disagree on major issues like that.
[User Picture]
From:blimey85
Date:August 30th, 2008 05:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've never understood why both camps insist on being called pro-something. If one camp is pro-life, then why is the other not called pro-death? Or pro-choice vs anti-choice? Seems odd that both are pro-whatever and we have no opposite for the opposing camp.

That said, as a Libertarian I'm not about taking peoples rights away. I think what we do is none of the governments business up to the point where are actions infringe on someone else's rights. In this case, in my opinion, and I'm not trying to start anything here, I think the baby has rights.

I think it's odd that we have laws prohibiting both murder and child abuse, yet we seem to think that having an abortion is a perfectly acceptable birth control method. I used to wonder why we drew the line at the baby being born but then I found out about partial-birth abortions and realized that for many people, there really didn't seem to be a line at where this was no longer ok.
[User Picture]
From:axessdenyd
Date:August 30th, 2008 08:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
If it was just a popularity contest, then wouldn't Obama have it hands down?
[User Picture]
From:axessdenyd
Date:August 30th, 2008 08:07 am (UTC)
(Link)
And as soon as Obama decides where he stands on the issues, tell him to give us a call.
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 30th, 2008 01:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Neither of them can make up their minds about anything because they are trying to please everyone and sell a product and it is a completely fucked up system.

In my opinion neither candidate has been particularly worse than the other about this.

However, I think there's some pretty clear differences in the way the country would be run. And if people with obviously different ideas about how things should be done vote for McCain just because he pulled this sleazy trick, well it makes me really sad.

But I'm starting to think the trick is so obvious no one will fall for it.

I mean people who really want to vote the McCain ticket will and that's cool.I just don't think Hillary voters will go running over to the other side.

[User Picture]
From:axessdenyd
Date:August 30th, 2008 02:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I dunno about Hillary voters, but personally I really like Palin based on what I've seen so far. Maybe she doesn't have the experience to run a country, but as vice president she can gain that, while hopefully contiuing her MO of clearing out corruption.

It's not really much different than Obama's trick. "Vote for me, I have an old white guy too!"

...I don't much expect Obama to lose, though.
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 30th, 2008 02:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Palin may be a fine choice for the Republicans. I just think that by picking such a young inexperienced woman, McCain was making his motives very clear, yet Palin is sooooooo different from Hillary that it is sort of sickening.

Do you think McCain picked her because she is awesome or do you think he picked her to get at the woman voters?

Liking Palin for Palin is not my problem. Liking her just because she is a woman is. And McCain picking her just because she is a woman is.

[User Picture]
From:axessdenyd
Date:August 30th, 2008 03:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I imagine he picked her because of both.

I really thought he would go with Mitt Romney, but people seem to hate Mormons so I didn't think that would be good for him.
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 30th, 2008 03:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
People hate mormons. People hate black people. People hate women.

Man. People suck.
[User Picture]
From:axessdenyd
Date:August 30th, 2008 03:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I hate people who suck.

Damn, we all fall into the trap.

I wonder if picking a woman is a good idea though...many conservative women do not like the idea of a female president.

...I maintain that it's OK to dislike someone according to their beliefs, but not according to their race or gender.
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 30th, 2008 03:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
My new boss is a female reverend and she was comparing it to how women don't like to have women pastors or priests.


I maintain that it's OK to dislike someone according to their beliefs, but not according to their race or gender.

Me too. :)
[User Picture]
From:axessdenyd
Date:August 30th, 2008 04:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The female preachers thing makes sense. It's in their book and all.
[User Picture]
From:claireh
Date:August 30th, 2008 05:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
well that's not what they have against it
[User Picture]
From:blimey85
Date:August 30th, 2008 05:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
What if the person is a black female mormon?

It's like how people say Asians can't drive, and females can't drive, and elderly people can't drive... and I've always wondered what happens when an elderly asian female gets behind the wheel.
[User Picture]
From:catya
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
yeah. what you said.
[User Picture]
From:inahandbasket
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*sigh*
[User Picture]
From:damagedmuse
Date:August 29th, 2008 02:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's transparent.
He's trying to get the Hillary voters. Which may work on some. But Sarah Palin is NOT Hillary Clinton.
Hillary voters are educated which means they will familiarize themselves with a Governor from Alaska (might as well be Siberia to people in Texas, California, Florida, The North East, and Siberia of all places...)
And these people will see what I just said, This woman is not what they saw in Hillary simply because she's female...

[User Picture]
From:inahandbasket
Date:August 29th, 2008 03:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And hillary's platform is FAR closer to Obamas, yet there's a strong contingent of Hillary voters going for McCain?
It's not about the issues, the educated Hillary voters who care about issues are already on Obama's side exactly because of the issues.
Just my $.02
[User Picture]
From:primal_pastry
Date:August 29th, 2008 06:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
See, you get all smart and answer your own question. They're better at manipulation because that's all that type of politician has. They're not talking about any factual or fundamental or provable reality and there for can say anything. It makes game playing much easier. Anyone who can really truly believe in trickle down economics is not operating in reality.

The other problem is that thinking in a deep and nuanced way isn't easy. It takes time... and it's uncomfortable. How would you like to be the candidate for the party that blew American credibility, fucked our economy, and promotes full participation for a privaledged few?
[User Picture]
From:oceanic
Date:August 29th, 2008 03:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Anyone who votes for McCain just because he picked a female VP gets no respect from me. Like many women, I would be profoundly gratified to see a female president, but I believe strongly that it's far less important what the president is, and far more important what he or she DOES.
[User Picture]
From:infinitehotel
Date:August 29th, 2008 03:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm not ready to panic yet. Palin's name was getting bandied about for a while and for all that she's female, she seems to suffer from the same problem that dogged a lot of Obama's choices when there was some suggestion that he might pick a different female running mate to placate Hillary supporters. That being, it's hard to understand why she might be chosen other than cynical reasons. Other than her gender, she's the four-year governor of a not particularly key state (3 electoral votes?) with strong ties to oil. Admittedly she does add some youth to McCain's ticket, but I'm hoping that's not enough to give him any more bounce in the polls than he already has.


[User Picture]
From:inahandbasket
Date:August 29th, 2008 03:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's true, it might be misdirection still as well.
But she's been talked about as a big up and coming republican hope, so it wouldn't surprise me if McCain snapped her up to try to blunt some of Obama's "youthful draw."

We'll see.
[User Picture]
From:albionwood
Date:August 29th, 2008 03:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Not the biggest stuff-up; not even second-biggest. Those honors go to the 2000 and 2004 elections. The ship has already hit the iceberg; the new captain will have little effect on its course. We don't get a do-over.
[User Picture]
From:squirrella
Date:August 29th, 2008 05:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
i'm moving to canada!

but seriously.
[User Picture]
From:why_style
Date:August 29th, 2008 06:20 pm (UTC)
(Link)
i'm not ready to give up yet. despite my experience, i just refuse to believe people will continue to be that stupid. and if americans are that stupid, this country deserves whatever it gets. that's the power of democracy!
[User Picture]
From:miss_chance
Date:August 29th, 2008 08:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm just relieved he didn't pick Condoleezza Rice. Confused, but relieved. Rice has name recognition, extensive experience in the international stage, political clout, supporters, and could take "demographics-voters" from all over the Democratic party. We would have been totally fucked. I think a lot of women who supported Clinton will see this relatively young and attractive woman beside the old geezer and will be offended on a gut level at the Trophy VP look. It's an especially odd choice because no one is exactly thinking "two terms" when they look at McCain's medical records, so this move removes the Rep.'s chance to try to claim inexperience in Obama's ticket.

If the Dems lose this one it will be due to Diebold.
[User Picture]
From:secretlyironic
Date:August 29th, 2008 09:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Totally. It's like McCain decided "Hey, women are interchangeable, let's offer people who wanted hillary Some Gal and see if it works?"
[User Picture]
From:cessibaby
Date:August 29th, 2008 09:20 pm (UTC)

Dems are still weaker

(Link)
Here's the thing. Democrats are and have always been so effing concerned about not pissing anyone off.
Republicans will gladly piss off anyone and everyone if it gets them their way.
Democrats and this includes Obama spend way too much time taking moderate stances and trying to placate everyone instead of being gutsy and standing up for a true liberal agenda.
[User Picture]
From:axessdenyd
Date:August 30th, 2008 08:11 am (UTC)
(Link)
I find it somewhat amusing that everyone is saying what a useless person Palin is and how she's just a "trophy" pick.

Personally I read her stances, I looked at her (admittedly short) record, and think I would vote for her for president if given the chance. She's made a big name for herself by clearing out corruption, getting rid of people in her own party who had unethical connections to oil, and is trying to cut out the moneywasting earmarks that states usually love to get (ie, bridge to nowhere).
[User Picture]
From:blimey85
Date:August 30th, 2008 08:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well said!!!! From what I've heard of her thus far, she's been kicking ass and taking names. I think the fact that she's from Alaska (actually from Idaho but has lived in AK for most of her life) helps her because she's not seen as a Washington insider. I've also read that she actually has more experience than Obama but I don't know the numbers for either.

I think she's an excellent pick for McCain and I know how sill this is going to sound, but I think this will be the deciding factor for me, and I'm sure a lot of other people. It's not because she's female as I don't give a crap about race, gender, religion, or any of the non-relevant stuff. I care about the issues and the integrity of the person. I'm not much of a McCain supporter and I disagree with him on a lot, but it's once again a choice between two people I like so I've gotta find some reason to vote one way or the other.
aw crap. McCain was smart and picked a woman. Now he'll really steal… - another LJ. or: how i learned to stop worrying and love this life-thingy

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Lord Google

Links
sluggy
userfriendly
sinfest
schlock
reallife
Cyanide&Happiness
goats
somethingpositive
pvp
xkcd
lil gamers
fruitfucker
ctrl-alt-del
Genius!
digger
LFG
applegeeks
threepanelsoul
drive!
vgcats
Erfworld
Freakangels
DresdenCodak
Angst!
.
EatYourBeer
rain?
POSTULATE!

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com