?

Log in

No account? Create an account

June 3rd, 2004


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:57 pm
Ah, nothing like a little lunchtime tech support for a friend.
^_^

****

Every once in awhile, I remember what it's like to enjoy helping people.
that rarely happens at my official job.

These useless, self-righteous, pompus, stupid gits that i have to help all day long just don't appreciate what we do for them. Intelligent well-spoken friends of mine, even if they may be exceedingly frustrated and pissed off at the time, are at least intelligent enough to respect what I have to say, and can comprehend that I'm trying to help them. But people who I'm paid to support?
Oh no.

Out of, say, 10 callers:
2-3 will be real issues that they genuinely needed assistance to fix.
Half of these people are usually appreciative, which is nice. the other half are just brusque and pissy that it isn't working.
(out of these people, 10% will be an intelligent, experienced computer user who just needs something done that they don't have permissions to do.)

1 will be truly obnoxious, rude, or even hostile.

6 will be clueless users who just don't know what they're doing.
These people are either sweet little old ladies who just need some handholding, or people who refuse to do things the way they need to, and end up seriously fuxoring their document or computer.

It's great.
really.
mood: calmcalm

(4 bits of drivel | babble incoherently)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:squidia
Date:June 3rd, 2004 03:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
just curious -- playing devil's advocate (though I don't believe in the devil, per se) -- you say 2-3 out of 10 genuinely need assistance, but how do you classify that? they took the time to call because they needed assistance of some kind or another, even if it's just your reminding them to plug their computer in! turn their monitor on! or whatever simple thing. perhaps what you mean is assistance that you enjoy giving?

thing about a service point, i'm finding, is that the more people you interact with, the more you catch people's "bad day," as in, "i'm having a bad day," as in, it's not their normal state of being.

then there are those few, very few really, who are crabby and aggravating every day, and those deserve a big whack upside the head! :)
[User Picture]
From:inahandbasket
Date:June 3rd, 2004 07:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh yeah, we totally have our regulars. People who's very name on the caller ID will elicit a groan from the unfortunate analyst.

The people who genuinely need help in my classification were the ones who had something going on that they could not (for whatever reason) have dealt with themselves. Locked out account, need software installed, or an actual software problem not due to user error.

I'm an asshole when it comes to computer knowledge, I'll freely admit that. It's a shortcoming of mine that I can't understand why people don't get computers. They're logical by definition, and I have a very rational logical brain, so they make perfect sense to me. Now that I'm dating Meg, I have definitely come to appreciate the other half of humanity, who are perfectly capable of reasoning things out if they need it, but it's not the primary line of functionality in their minds. Call it left vs. right brained thinkers, or creative vs. analytical. However you classify it, I'm in the group that takes logic as the status quo instead of the 'thought-required' mentality.

sorry, rambling. ^_^
[User Picture]
From:squidia
Date:June 8th, 2004 04:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
no, don't apologize, that's what I was wondering about! :) see, if I find myself having to admit that I'm an asshole about something, I try to stop being an asshole on whatever that subject is, so it's a different point of view. I don't see things so black-and-white as left v right brain (after all, we all use both sides) or creative v analytical (once again, we're all both to varying degrees). makes life harder for me perhaps, to see so many shades of gray, but it's just my nature! :)
[User Picture]
From:inahandbasket
Date:June 9th, 2004 05:24 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm toatlly with you there, I never see things in black and white.
but I lean far to the analytical side of the brain. call it a very dark gray, not quite black.
Ah, nothing like a little lunchtime tech support for a friend. ^_^… - another LJ. or: how i learned to stop worrying and love this life-thingy

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Lord Google

Links
sluggy
userfriendly
sinfest
schlock
reallife
Cyanide&Happiness
goats
somethingpositive
pvp
xkcd
lil gamers
fruitfucker
ctrl-alt-del
Genius!
digger
LFG
applegeeks
threepanelsoul
drive!
vgcats
Erfworld
Freakangels
DresdenCodak
Angst!
.
EatYourBeer
rain?
POSTULATE!

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com