August 28th, 2006
Holy shit that was scary.
Came home at 11ish from an evening of playing Magic: The Gathering (yes, the card game) with some fellow old-school dorks, got dropped off at the apartment, walked up the steps and opened the door. Thereup, I was greeted by the overwhelming stench of natural gas.*
Freaked out, I ran into the bedroom and started shaking my dear prosicated, who didn't respond for a good 5 seconds. As you can imagine I was duly freaking at this point, but true to my form I wasn't shouting but just quietly... well... freaked out.
Finally she did wake up, and said "oh god, it does smell like gas in here..."
Like I needed the vindication. I almost had a headache already from the strength of it.
As it turns out, one of the burners wasn't all the way turned off, and had been slowly leaking for a number of hours into the apartment.
The cats are both fine, prosicated is also fine (and already back asleep), but damn that was a scary moment. I won't be sleeping for at least another hour, by then hopefully my heart will have stopped pounding.
*Yes, I know natural gas is odorless, but they cut it with methane for just such occurances. So you can smell leaks.
mood: freaked out
Damn, that is very scary. Glad you're both OK.
Eek, that is very scary! I'm so glad you guys are all right!
|Date:||August 29th, 2006 03:48 am (UTC)|| |
Damn, man. The both of you stay safe.
And now I go and check my damn burners. Thank you for reminding me that I'm afraid of my stove.
I grew up with electric, this invisible explosive thing freaks me the fuck out, especially given the churrosplosion of yesterday.
I grew up with electric too, but I totally prefer gas for cooking.
And I'm super-sensitive to the smell of gas as a result, which is good because I can always tell if there's gas leaking anywhere. ^_^
I am so glad both of you are okay!!!!
Um... that would sure explain the sleepiness of both of us, and yet why i wasn't sleepy once i got home. Yikes! I feel bad that I left her there! I swear it wasn't for very long!
Wow. Very, very, very glad you came home when you did. And feeling remarkably stupid (a more than a little freaked) for not noticing. sorry?
Not surprised you didn't notice, it must've been a hell of a slow leak, and your nose simply got aclimated to it. No need to feel bad!
Holy shit! That's terrifying. I'm so glad that everyone's okay. Snuggle that woman extra close tonight!
|Date:||August 29th, 2006 12:09 pm (UTC)|| |
Sorry!!! I didn't mean to be a stupidhead!
(but just to get nowhere near even? Gas doesn't leek, it leaks.)
I had a rip-roaring headache by the time you woke me up, too. So glad I didn't sicken the cats or anything with my stupid. Back to being terrified of the 60 year old stove for me, then.
Re: Sorry!!! I didn't mean to be a stupidhead!
Hold me accountable for sleepy homophone errors, will you?
Fine, I see how it is.
*plots grammatical revenge*
Yikes! OK if you didn't really want to meet me, I'm sure there were better ways out of this than suffocating yourself and Meg.
Also (because I'm a science geek) it's actually ehtyl mercaptan that provides the nasty smell that natural gas has. Pure methane is odorless...they add ethyl mercaptan to that as well.
fascinating, good to know!
I'd always heard that it was methane they added. hunh!
NG is apparently mostly
methane, so it's certainly not a trace additive.
learn something new every day...
(and it wasn't my fault! she and rainbowspork
cooked while I was out!)
do you have a carbon monoxide alarm?
I'm just wondering if that would have set it off.
(if you don't, your landlord is requried by new Mass law to install one)
Yup, and it didn't go off.
No carbon monoxide in natural gas. ;-)
Nothing so scary as an unresponsive sweetie.. (shudder)
I'm glad that you're both okay though. Please buy one of those gsa detecting alarms. They're similar, I believe, to smoke detectors and can likely be purchased at a decent hardware store. (Or maybe through the gas company?)
Yep, really glad you two are okay.
We have a Carbon Monoxide detector, but that don't do crap for Natural Gas. I don't know that there is a Nat Gas detector, but I'll definitely look into it. ^_^
Oh, wow, definitely scary! Don't they sell gas detectors, like smoke detectors but for natural gas, for just such situations (i.e., when you're sleeping like Meg was)? Maybe a good idea to get one. Come to think of it, we could probably use one, too...
scary! i'm so glad you're both ok!
|Date:||August 29th, 2006 03:42 pm (UTC)|| |
[breathes in, breathes out]
whew. Yeah. That's... bad. I can't even imagine finding that scenario, and you know my imagination.
Thank god for things being okay, and I hug the daylights out of both of you. :)
since my first thought of a comment besides the glad-you're-not-dead line of things was that dorkdork kills and that's already been added here, i'll just throw in that yes, there are natural gas detectors. we had one in my house growing up. not a bad thing to have around, i imagine.